Spinal cord injury (SCI) is any damage to the spinal cord, a network of nerves running from the brain down through your back. As this cord relays messages between your brain and other parts of your body, any damage to it can cause sensation or movement below where the injury has occurred.
Spinal cord injuries can be caused by trauma, such as a car accident, fall, or sports injury; or non-traumatic causes like infections, tumors, or degenerative diseases. Depending on where and how severe the injury is located, individuals may experience a temporary or permanent loss of function.
A spinal cord injury rehabilitation center is a medical facility that specializes in providing comprehensive care and treatment for those suffering from spinal cord injuries. Their primary mission is to help patients regain function and independence as much as possible, as well as enhance their quality of life.
Spinal cord injury rehab centers often provide a range of support services to assist patients and their families as they cope with the difficulties caused by spinal cord injuries. These could include vocational counseling, social work services, peer support groups, as well as recreational activities.
Spinal cord injury rehab centers may be either inpatient or outpatient facilities, depending on the severity of the injury and individual needs. Inpatient facilities offer round-the-clock care and supervision while outpatient clinics allow patients to receive part-time treatment and therapy on a part-time basis, typically several times per week.
Florida boasts many top-tier spinal cord injury rehabilitation facilities. Here are your options:
- Brooks Rehabilitation: Brooks Rehabilitation in Jacksonville, Florida offers a comprehensive spinal cord injury program. Their services include specialized care for acute spinal cord injuries as well as ongoing rehabilitation to promote recovery and enhance the quality of life.
- Shepherd Center: Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Georgia is a highly-regarded rehabilitation facility for spinal cord injuries. They offer specialized inpatient and outpatient programs as well as cutting-edge rehabilitation technology to help their patients reclaim function and independence.
- Orlando Health Rehabilitation Institute: At Orlando Health Rehabilitation Institute, they offer a comprehensive spinal cord injury program with specialized care for both acute and chronic injuries. Their services include physical and occupational therapy, speech therapy, as well as psychological support.
- Jackson Rehabilitation Hospital: Situated in Miami, Jackson Rehabilitation Hospital provides comprehensive spinal cord injury care to patients with both traumatic and non-traumatic injuries. Their team of rehabilitation experts includes physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, and psychologists to provide this personalized attention.
- Craig Hospital: While not located in Florida like Shepherd Center, Craig Hospital is widely regarded as one of the premier rehabilitation facilities for spinal cord injuries in America. With specialized inpatient and outpatient programs, as well as state-of-the-art rehabilitation technology and support services available, this Colorado facility stands out among competitors.
It’s essential to note that the best rehabilitation facility for a spinal cord injury patient depends on their individual needs and circumstances. Consulting with a healthcare professional to determine the most suitable course of action in your specific case is recommended.
If you or your loved one has been suffering from spinal cord injury due to others’ negligence, it’s crucial to seek the assistance of a personal injury lawyer to help you understand the legal system. Here at Darfoor Law Firm, we help families and loved ones recover damages.
Call us at 1-833-DARFOOR to schedule your free consultation and case evaluation.